The rationale behind these ideas is from the short healing prayer phrase “Thy Name is my healing”. Below is a link to a file with quite a few names of God taken from the writings and prayers:
I use the names of God in the following ways:
- I picked out names of God I liked from the webpage above, and printed them out on 3” x 5” index cards and laminated the cards.
- When saying the 95 greatest names daily, I choose one name of God to focus on for each 5 greatest names.
- When saying shorter prayers I have memorized, like the removers of difficulties, I focus on one name of God for the prayer. I say these prayers from time to time during the day.
- I found the following names to be key, to differentiate God from everything else, and helped me put into perspective the other names of God: Creator, Ruler of the Universe, Eternal, Ancient.
- I combine a name of God with Allah’u’Abha, and say this from time to time during the day.
- I just choose a name of God, and meditate about it a bit, while doing whatever during the day.
Benefits of using the names of God in this way:
- It helps me to understand God better, and therefore fulfill my purpose in Him creating me (short obligatory prayer).
- It helps me to feel God’s presence in my life.
- I feel more calm and confident and hopeful.
- I understand the Baha’I revelation better.
- When I say prayers, usually other names of God will come to mind while reciting the prayer.
- It is easier than saying prayers, reading the writings, or reciting a memorize quote in my mind. This is important with people who deal with mental health challenges, like anxiety or depression, that make every day tasks much more difficult (or at times impossible), and use up most of their mental and emotional energy just trying to stay above water.
- I get to know many of the names of God by heart, and can often pick a name of God related to a struggle or mental test I am having, then combine that with Allah’u’Abha, a short memorize prayer that is appropriate to the situation, or just think about that name of God. Sometimes I quickly combine various names of God appropriate to these situations.
- I have read and heard that people with mental health challenges, like anxiety or depression, suffer cognitive impairment. This makes it harder for us to think clearly, solve problems, face challenging situations, concentrate well enough to read, or even get out of bed. This kind of simple process I think helps get me back into contact with God. I suggest to anyone reading this, don’t push yourself to fatigue, and to do it at your own pace.
Baha’u’llah – Baha’i Prayers
Thy name is my healing, O my God, and remembrance of Thee is my remedy. Nearness to Thee is my hope, and love for Thee is my companion. Thy mercy to me is my healing and my succor in both this world and the world to come. Thou, verily, art the All-Bountiful, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.
I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth. There is none other God but Thee, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.
Baha’u’llah – The Arabic Hidden Words
O SON OF LIGHT! Forget all save Me and commune with My spirit. This is of the essence of My command, therefore turn unto it.
O SON OF BEING! Thy Paradise is My love; thy heavenly home, reunion with Me. Enter therein and tarry not. This is that which hath been destined for thee in Our kingdom above and Our exalted dominion.
O SON OF BEING! My love is My stronghold; he that entereth therein is safe and secure, and he that turneth away shall surely stray and perish.
Baha’u’llah – The Kitab-i-Aqdas
Pride not yourselves on much reading of the verses or on a multitude of pious acts by night and day; for were a man to read a single verse with joy and radiance it would be better for him than to read with lassitude all the Holy Books of God, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting. Read ye the sacred verses in such measure that ye be not overcome by languor and despondency. Lay not upon your souls that which will weary them and weigh them down, but rather what will lighten and uplift them, so that they may soar on the wings of the Divine verses towards the Dawning-place of His manifest signs; this will draw you nearer to God, did ye but comprehend.